I finally found my roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally found my roots

Why is this section empty? Roots are the roots of this sport lol. For quite some time I have been sourcing a correct type of 8-71 for my slingshot. I really do not need it for speed but in my opinion front engine dragster is missing something without one. Bought me a Hampton and QF850 blower carbs this week. I will mod those for e85 use. Still need to find intake, belt pulleys carbs linkage fuel lines etc.but it's a good start towards nicer looks.

Something is missing

Good for you Finn! Looks like a real nice piece brother. Are you going to try and have it together prior to this years racing?

Steve

Comment

Not sure yet Steve, most likely not. Depends a lot how fast the missing parts fell on my lap. And it's not only that, current setup will need some little mods too, moving things around so I'm not gonna rush it and stress, car is ready as it sits so I can take my time sourcing. On the other hand it is not that big of a challenge after one has all the bits and pieces, but there's pretty much nothing avaliable locally and I will need to be really careful only buying the right stuff one time. The shipping costs are a killer, plus taxes and customs on top of that. I also know that nothing ever goes as planned and theres unexpected variables even during the easiest builds. Don't want to risk missing any races and wait for some part to arrive.

If I only lived in states or had thicker wallet it would be a different situation. I'm unpatient in nature and anxious to drive it under blowah powah but since that's not the case I need to take my time. For now sleeping with the Hampton has to do.

Comment

I feel you brother -you have a solid plan for sure. Let me know if I can help find or pickup anything you might need shipped to you Finn.
        I couldn’t imagine doing what you guys are doing without the vast resources (parts) like we have here.
        what kind of heads are you running?

Steve

Comment

Appreciate your offer a lot Steve, I keep that in mind. Luckily world has gotten smaller today with webshops and all. I started this back when I sent a fax to Currie Enterprices in need of a lock unit, then waiting if anyone ever faxes back or did they understand what I need lol. There was no credit card accepted and I went to bank, changed currency and sent cash in an envelope over to US. Got my parts but all this has taught me some patience during the decades

I chose ProMaxx heads into this engine:

Comment

Nice heads Finn- I know how you feel when I build my stuff I usually purchase parts and pieces a few at a time until I have all I need then I can assemble. Patience is something I have learned also.

Steve

Comment

I wish I could order things part by part, international shipping cost + 6% customs + 24% vat makes that approach impossible. Gotta bundle.

Comment

• 1Azgerman
                1Azgerman commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn!

Nice parts, Bud. Did you sleep in the garage with your new Blower the first night you got it ? Don't be embarrassed now, it happens !

Comment

You know me Mod, now my neck hurts

Comment

Bingo! Found this polished beauty from southern Finland. Luck continues

Comment

• Vamodsquad
                    Vamodsquad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another piece of the puzzle. Awesome Bud. Me like shiny stuff !

Right on another good score !!!

Comment

Is that a Bronco over there in the corner ?

Comment

Finn has some toys !

Comment

That pic is from the guy I bought the blower. He has toys, he put his CrewCab Duramax into 9.8 sec on a quartermile ten years ago. Heck that might be a world record still. Now he has 70s F250 with 572 BBF topped with 14-71 Roots and three carbs

Last edited by FinnishFireball; 02-23-2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• 1Azgerman
                          1Azgerman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow truck is hauling azz, very impressive!

Steve

Example how the prices add up when ordering from USA

Part is $100, shipping is $30 so total $ 130
                        Our government then adds 6% customs = $ 8
                        Then VAT 24% = $ 31
                        TOTAL = $ 169,-

So your 100 bucks part is 169 for me.

Now you see why I cant order every single stud or gasket or AN connector part by part. I have lost an fortune on shipping costs alone during the years, and you can imagine whats the shipping cost for heavier parts. It's hundreds of dollars easily.

Comment

Working...
                        X