engine build sheet\\

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine build sheet\\

What would you think of this build sheet for your fresh NA engine?

Was this a recent build for you brother? I have seen more detailed build sheets and better ledge able. Also did he write down thrust clearance? Camshaft end play? Lifter to lifter bore clearances. I don’t know I am not a professional machinist but they could have done better in giving you more info.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno camaro View Post
      What would you think of this build sheet for your fresh NA engine?
      I would be pretty disappointed.
      TRUMP 2020!

Comment

Originally posted by 1Azgerman View Post
        Was this a recent build for you brother? I have seen more detailed build sheets and better ledge able. Also did he write down thrust clearance? Camshaft end play? Lifter to lifter bore clearances. I don’t know I am not a professional machinist but they could have done better in giving you more info.

Steve
        Its my current engine and I've been trying to get the build sheet for a year. I'm disappointed with .0095 piston to cylinder clearance and the fact I told them if anything was not spot on we needed to address them including the heads. I go to pick it up and he says heads would take a ton of welding to get what he would want and its border line needing bored out. What part of spot on is hard to understand.

Comment

.0095 piston to wall with KB pistons is a problem. I'm assuming it was a freshen up rebuild type of thing? If so an educated guess tells me there is also quite a bit of taper in the cyls

Comment

Originally posted by speeedr View Post
            .0095 piston to wall with KB pistons is a problem. I'm assuming it was a freshen up rebuild type of thing? If so an educated guess tells me there is also quite a bit of taper in the cyls
            Yes took to a new shop to freshen up and looking for more power. Said it picked up roughly 100hp and nothing changed et or mph wise. I'm not sure about the taper but wouldn't shock me. The engine has roughly 350 passes from being all new. Has Wiseco quick 16 pistons in it.

Comment

Pretty sure that most of us have been down that road, brother.

If I wanted an 800-900hp engine, there are a LOT of folks who can make that happen, hell, I would likely do it myself.

Once you decide to go well above 1000hp NA, the list of legitimate builders that can make that happen gets real short. We are now in an area beyond snapping parts together, we need someone who really understands how an air pump works, and how to hit your target right on the money, the first time around.

Sorry for your situation. I have been there, and it sure can put a dent in your drive to keep moving on.

There is info missing on that build sheet, and there is also info on the sheet that, IMO, would NOT be on there if the builder was providing you with top shelf performance for your NA combo.

The last 3 engines I have had built were not at pro stock NA levels, but higher than what you can buy from anybody as one of their standard package offerings. Getting a cam card, or even any more info than maybe net lift.....that ain't happening. A top end builder has his own valve train secrets that separate him from the snap expensive parts together crowd, and you will NOT get their custom cam design info.

One of those last 3 engines I had built was from a member here. I asked him if I was getting a cam card. His reply was a snort/wheeze/giggle/WTF combo.

Never did get a cam card, but I sure did get a happy engine, that does what I expected it to do.
              TRUMP 2020!

Comment

We engine guys keep our cam info deep deep, way secret squirrel shit. Well, not me so much. I'll tell you just enough to make it sound special

Comment

Originally posted by speeedr View Post
                  We engine guys keep our cam info deep deep, way secret squirrel shit. Well, not me so much. I'll tell you just enough to make it sound special
                  TRUMP 2020!

Comment

I sure hope you don't become to discouraged brother, as Mitch and Speedr has mentioned there are good shops (few) that can build you a custom N/A engine.

Steve

Comment

I dunno nuthin but that seems like an awful lot of duration @ .050 with a 24* split.

Oh that .0095 piston to wall can’t be a fresh hone or that guy is an idiot.
                      Last edited by willisonTfosdik; 01-09-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Azgerman View Post
                        I sure hope you don't become to discouraged brother, as Mitch and Speedr has mentioned there are good shops (few) that can build you a custom N/A engine.

Steve
                        Care to share a short list? APD did the last freshen up and very disappointed. Had heard good things but didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by willisonTfosdik View Post
                          I dunno nuthin but that seems like an awful lot of duration @ .050 with a 24* split.

Oh that .0095 piston to wall can’t be a fresh hone or that guy is an idiot.
                          I've always thought that was too much duration but last 2 shops have put nearly identical cams in it.

Comment

+.003 pins in 2 rods ? alum rods or steel ? If steel rod wonder why he didn't install new bushings ?. .012 in the hole ill guess alum rods

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno camaro View Post

I've always thought that was too much duration but last 2 shops have put nearly identical cams in it.
                              A very well known engine guy, with his own super fast promod, freshened up my current engine in the coupe right before I bought it. Several bad choices were made, and a couple of serious mistakes.

I never did read what your car weighs, what it currently runs, and what are you looking for it to run?
                              TRUMP 2020!

Comment

Working...
                              X