No announcement yet.

engine build sheet\\

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As some of you know I ended up going with Oakley Motorsports in KY and bought an all aluminum 632 sniper 375X headed engine. I finally got it out but only made 2 passes and I'm pretty disappointed so far. Track was green and a little slick. The mph was identicle to last year. The trans was getting hot really fast, looks like the converter is too loose now but I don't see it picking up 2.5-3 tenths and 5 mph from that change alone. Oakley says he thinks the converter is killing it. They have rented a track for next weekend and wants me to bring it down so he can tweak on it after getting the converter swapped out. I have a fresh Neil Chance converter I think should work nicely in it. Going to talk to Marty and see what he thinks. The track was bad and car needs some tuning. I'm sure it will get better but don't see a 4 something in my near future.

Comment

Inferno I think you will get there sound like Oakley is stepping up and renting the track to help you out is a big deal in my book. And think about it brother I not sure how many passes you had on the old converter and if the new engine is way stronger then the old convert was taking a beating.
      When I changed my old converter in my Nova I had with a new COAN 6500 stall I picked up 2 tenths which was amazing. Went from a 1.39 sixty foot to a 1.26 sixty foot. Hang in there brother. And hell if you get to disappointed just send me that engine my S- Dime is in need of a new Bullet !! LOL !!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 1Azgerman View Post
        Inferno I think you will get there sound like Oakley is stepping up and renting the track to help you out is a big deal in my book. And think about it brother I not sure how many passes you had on the old converter and if the new engine is way stronger then the old convert was taking a beating.
        When I changed my old converter in my Nova I had with a new COAN 6500 stall I picked up 2 tenths which was amazing. Went from a 1.39 sixty foot to a 1.26 sixty foot. Hang in there brother. And hell if you get to disappointed just send me that engine my S- Dime is in need of a new Bullet !! LOL !!

Steve
        I'm not giving up but this story is starting the same as the last 2. He called Marco and Oakley says my converter is not even close to what Oakley runs in these combos. Mine has looser pump and fin angle is 6 degrees different than what he wants in it. Plus he wants a diode converter instead of spragless. The track rental was already happening but feel lucky he asked me to go. Now if I can just get it back together in time. 5.0's is what I expect he still says it will run 4.90's.
        They have been a class act so far.

Comment

• 1Azgerman
          1Azgerman commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good brother!

New converter ordered should be here Friday.

Comment

Well long ass day at track rental. Off the trailer [email protected] 137.5. Made tons of adjustments and couldn't get better. He was saying 4.90's at 140 so just not getting there. Thinks converter is now a little too tight. Best 60' was only 1.13 which it done last year, they say it should go 1.09-1.10.
          84 degrees 80% humidity 29.4 bar 130 water grains, 2900DA
          Last edited by Inferno camaro; 05-24-2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Sorry man, it can be frustrating
            hopefully you get there

Comment

• Inferno camaro
              Inferno camaro commented
              Editing a comment
              I went into it knowing in my head low 5.0's would be best case. But after repeatedly hearing 4.80's if everything is perfect 4.90's no problem you start letting yourself believe it. Its happened enough I really know better but still disappointing. There may be more in it but won't hold my breath.

Inferno the previous engine best numbers where ?The air sure wasn’t in your favor either.
            the more laps you put on the converter The more it will loosen up.
            also you mentioned you changed the slicks recently ? Do you think they are hurting the 60’ times.

Steve

Comment

• Inferno camaro
              Inferno camaro commented
              Editing a comment
              5.11 @135.5 same slicks I've been running just new this year. Car should weigh 100-120 lbs less this year with the aluminum block.

Well I scaled the car today and this is interesting. I was told would be 110ish pounds lighter with new engine but is only actually 51lbs lighter. It does have wheelie bars on it now and didn't before but those only around 15 I would guess. So the engine is about 65lbs lighter than the old one. So do the internals weigh that much more for a 632 than a 615? Same model crank and rods 55mm cam instead of 50, belt drive instead of chain, belt drive fuel pump instead of electric.

Comment

• 1Azgerman
              1Azgerman commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, the new and the old are both tall deck blocks?

• Inferno camaro
              Inferno camaro commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep both 10.2 deck. Old one was Dart big m and new is Brodix alum full water jacket.

Interesting issue, something weird is up now. These numbers are from manufacturers ads:

Dart Big M alu block 10.200 x 4.250 bore (168lbs) - 10.200 x 4.500 bore (144lbs)
            Dart Big M iron 4.250 bore (280lbs) - 4.500 bore (260lbs) - 4.60 bore (250lbs)
            The Brodix Aluminum Big Block engine block will weight between 135lb to 147lb depending on the required options such as 1/2 water jacket, bore size and deck height.

Same amount of fuel in tank? Water? You inside the car, driving gear on or not?
            How much ham in Christmas and how much turkey in thanksgiving did you consume
            Last edited by FinnishFireball; 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FinnishFireball View Post
              Interesting issue, something weird is up now. These numbers are from manufacturers ads:

Dart Big M alu block 10.200 x 4.250 bore (168lbs) - 10.200 x 4.500 bore (144lbs)
              Dart Big M iron 4.250 bore (280lbs) - 4.500 bore (260lbs) - 4.60 bore (250lbs)
              The Brodix Aluminum Big Block engine block will weight between 135lb to 147lb depending on the required options such as 1/2 water jacket, bore size and deck height.

Same amount of fuel in tank? Water? You inside the car, driving gear on or not?
              How much ham in Christmas and how much turkey in thanksgiving did you consume
              I weigh it with and without me in it each time. (I'm down 2 lbs looks like Same fuel, seemed to take slightly less water than before. Using same scales. I assume longer stroke crank and possibly bigger cores cam, bigger lifters weigh slightly more but not nearly this much. Different converter but same diameter same builder but is a diode converter vs spragless. So 51 lbs plus wheelie bars means engine weighs 65ish less.

Comment

It's still better than nothing at #65 but not what one would expect by those shared weight numbers. That takes around one tenth off the ET.
                I really hope this build starts to deliver on track and you can feel money was well spent. If not well, umm that's racing. Was it dyno tuned?
                Maybe there's still something to gain if you tweak the jets, timing, shift points etc.

Comment

I really believe Infernos Camaro will run in the high 4.90s once he gets a few more laps on it.
                  A bit more tuning and seat time - adjusting shift points and playing with jetting she is going to get there.

Steve

Comment

This was at a track rental, Oakley says the cars chassis needs some tuning as the driveshaft graph isn't great. He thinks the 60 should be 1.09 or better and its 1.13. He is hooking me up with his chassis guy and we are going over everything. I've got to say they are going out of their way to make this thing run right. He told me today if I'm not happy with it to pull it out and he will give my money back. (WOW) Was dyno tuned, we started moving timing around but the car just wasn't happy. Advanced timing slowed it but never got the chance to retard it or put a curve in it. We will keep working at it and see what we come up with.

Comment

Wow, awesome how they stand behind the product thats impressive. You will get there I have no doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno camaro View Post
                        This was at a track rental, Oakley says the cars chassis needs some tuning as the driveshaft graph isn't great. He thinks the 60 should be 1.09 or better and its 1.13. He is hooking me up with his chassis guy and we are going over everything. I've got to say they are going out of their way to make this thing run right. He told me today if I'm not happy with it to pull it out and he will give my money back. (WOW) Was dyno tuned, we started moving timing around but the car just wasn't happy. Advanced timing slowed it but never got the chance to retard it or put a curve in it. We will keep working at it and see what we come up with.
                        He sounds first class brother, not many are going to jump through hoops to help out like they have been doing, refreshing to hear you report this!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X